Every year, on February 20th, National Love Your Pet Day serves as a small, yet meaningful reminder to pet owners everywhere to give their beloved pets some extra special attention. The Celebree team is here to encourage you to celebrate this heartfelt day with your little ones and furry friends alike. Follow along for some fun and simple ways to celebrate National Love Your Pet Day with your children and the whole family.
1. Incorporate something new into the routine. Do you always walk your dog on the same route every day? Do you play fetch in the same area at home? While the consistency is never a bad thing, it also doesn’t hurt to switch it up and introduce your dog to a new place. Dogs love to explore different, unmarked routes, so try hiking a new trail together. For more mature dogs who aren’t as nimble as they once were, swimming can be a great alternative. Additionally, this serves as a great opportunity to spend some time with the kids and get some quality exercise.
2. Try a DIY project with the kids. For a bonding afternoon with the whole family, grab an old scarf and any stamps you have around the house. Take some child-safe paint and stamp the name of your pet onto the scarf. This activity can help the kids practice their spelling skills and serves as a great reminder of all the joy your pet brings to the family!
3. Have a play date for pets and children. If your pet enjoys the company of other animals, a playdate is an easy, low-stress way to let your pet, and children, burn off their energy and get some valuable social time.
4. Take a photo and make different picture frames. Gather the whole family and pose for a photo with the family pet. Then, print out the photos centered to the middle of the page and have your kids make their own frames by filling in the white space with crayons and colored pencils. Hang up the “picture frames” when everyone is done to showcase your homemade, one-of-a-kind family portrait.
5. Encourage your kids to act out a play. Provide your children with supplies to draft a brief script and suggest the play be pet-themed, with your furry (or not so furry) friend as the star. You can even go as far as helping the children make paper tickets and cooking up popcorn for the “audience,” which could include stuffed animals, toys and even family members. Remember, make sure you have some treats handy to toss as the cast members, both two-legged and four-legged, take their final bows!
Any reason is reason enough to show your pet affection and have a fun and memorable day with the kids. Enjoy this fun, special day together, and let us know how it went! Simply post your photos on social media and include the hashtag #NationalLoveYourPetDay. We hope you enjoy this day as much as we do!