Ages Four-to-Six Months
Motor Development Milestones
- Learns to roll from stomach to back with help
- Learns to roll from back to stomach with help
- May sit erect when supported
- Begins to show interest in holding a rattle and can do with some success
- Reaches for objects with both arms simultaneously; later reaches with one hand
- Reaches for toys
- Holds objects
- Reaches for feet and brings them to mouth
- Moves toys from hand to hand
- Begins to stand locking knees and bearing some weight when held and supported
- Turns head to localized sounds
- Follows people with eyes and turns head to keep in view
Cognitive Development Milestones
- Uses hand, mouth, and eyes to explore own body, toys, and surroundings
- Focuses eyes on smaller objects and may reach for them
- Attracted to bright light and interested in colored objects
- Indicates a desire to be picked up with some gesture or specific cry
- Focuses on the action(s) performed by objects such as banging or shaking
- Turns head towards and locates familiar voices and sounds
Day Care Resources
7 Domains of Learning
Personal and Social Development
Children learn to develop healthy relationships with adults and their peers while cultivating a positive personal identity.
Children are taught to channel their natural curiosity to articulate questions and draw conclusions about the world around them.
This discipline focuses on numbers and their relationships, in addition to the geometric concepts that explain spatial awareness.
Language and Literacy
The basis of learning, this domain opens the door of communication through writing and drawing as well as grammar and comprehension.
This sphere examines societal relationships based on social structures and the connections between people and their communities.
An exploration into visual arts, music, dance and theater, this domain celebrates distinctive expression of emotions and ideas.
Physical Development and Health
Children are taught regard for health and nutrition in addition to the benefits of exercise to develop a strong mind and body.